Pages

Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Pie Competitions and Toddler Races

::Winning pie on the far right, key lime with whipped cream and strawberries.
::There were three pecan pies in the running, and I can't say I mind the leftovers!
::Babies, babies, babies!  You know where to come if you want to hold one!
::The winners of the pie baking competition and the cutie pie competition, respectively.
::Kids racing around the yard

I don't know if my mantle has ever looked as pretty as when covered with a whole line up of pies!  We had some neighbors over for a good old fashioned Pie Baking Competition this weekend.  It was beautiful out, and we have some of the very best neighbors around.  There always seems to be someone hosting a smoking competition, a driveway party, or a pumpkin carving competition, so we figured, why not kick off the season nice and early?  I made a ridiculous amount of pulled pork, Ben made some tasty mint juleps, and our neighbors brought everything else.  Cole slaw, corn bread muffins, and even some homemade pickles.  I told you our neighbors are the best!

We had races for the kids, in honor of the Kentucky Derby, which is when this party was originally supposed to occur.  In the end, we celebrated on the day of the Preakness.  Close enough, right?  Not that any of us are hard core horse racing fans, but it makes for a good excuse for a party.  We had two races: one five and up, the other under five, both of which were amazingly fun.  We told the little kids to "go down, run around the chair, and run back."  Hugo apparently understood that to mean he was supposed to run to the chair and just keep on running around it.  He was so energetic and excited, he didn't even notice the other kids weren't doing it, and must have rounded that last chair about ten times before I encouraged him to run back.

The season of outdoor parties is my absolute favorite, and I think it's safe to say that it's arrived!  Memorial day just a stone throw away, and this week is festive in our parts.  Our anniversary, my birthday, and a super long weekend.  Woo hoo!

7 comments:

Melissa H-K said...

That sounds like so much fun!

It reminds me of one of my greatest parenting triumphs. We were at my company's annual picnic. Timmy was about three, which made Rosie about five, Meg about seven, and Patrick about nine. There was a special event for children three and under. The organizers made a circle about ten feet wide and covered its area with straw. Then they tucked little baggies of candy under the straw, in full view of the kids.

Then an organizer called "Go!" Timmy and several other children dashed into the circle. While the other children found baggies of candy, Timmy ran through the circle and over to a tree. He touched it, ran back to me, and panted triumphantly, "I winned!"

"Yes!" I beamed at him. "And now you get candy!"

We were all laughing pretty hard, but he probably thought we were just happy for him. He grinned at all of us and grabbed a baggie of candy.

"I winned!" is still a catchphrase in our family. :-D

Adele said...

Heehee. Great story. Yes, it was definitely an "I winned !" Moment. :)

Rich and Sarah Christensen said...

Hi Adele!
My name is Sarah. I love your blog and enjoy reading all about your adventures as a family of five. My husband and I are Christians, we just had twin boys 9 weeks ago and I found your blog through a search about twins. We also have a three year old little boy. I am a homeschooler/ stay at home mom. We too love living the simple life, which I often feel alone in doing so while living in Southern California. :) We believe in attachment parenting I love to knit and sew and I guess some might say I'm a bit of a, "Crunch Mama". :) I am wondering if you vaccinate? I have been doing an alternative Vaccine schedule with my three year old and now that I have the twins, I have not yet vaccinated. I value your opinion as a mother and sister in Christ. :)
Thank you for your time!
Blessings,
Sarah
sarahannchristensen@gmail.com

Melissa H-K said...

Sarah, not to steal thunder from or stalk Adele, but here's a blog post from my daughter Rosie that has a list of twin blogs: http://rosie-ablogformymom.blogspot.com/2014/02/twin-blog-link-list-and-link-up.html

God bless you and your family!

Adele said...

So nice to cross paths with you, Sarah! And a big congratulations to you on your twin boys! What an incredible blessing. I do have some thoughts, but it might be easier to send you an email. Have a wonderful weekend!

Adele said...

Thanks for that resource, Melissa! I need to take a look at it myself. :-)

Melissa H-K said...

You do know you're on Rosie's list, Adele, right?